Commercial cleaning is an essential part of keeping any business running smoothly. But it’s not just a matter of tidying up – a good commercial cleaning service will also help to protect your workplace from germs and bacteria. In the UK, there are a number of different green commercial cleaning services available, all of which claim to be environmentally friendly and sustainable. But how do you know which one is right for your business?
Here at Northern Cleaning Solutions, we truly believe taking charge of the climate crisis is everyone’s responsibility, especially with heatwaves like that experienced recently becoming more common in the UK! That’s why we use our unique solution – it’s one of the most environmentally friendly, and human friendly ways to clean commercially! We’re green certified, our solutions are non-toxic to humans and animals, including wildlife, and our systems use 80% less water than most alternatives. So, if that interests you, why not get in touch to enquire about one for our cleaning services?
In the meantime, in this article, we want to break down Green Commercial Cleaning as best we can, with tips on how to keep your office cleaning sustainable, things you can use in an emergency and why we believe this is so important!
What is Green Cleaning and why is it important
Green cleaning has become an important topic in the commercial cleaning industry, as more and more businesses are looking for ways to reduce their environmental impact. Green cleaning is the practice of using environmentally friendly methods and products to clean your workplace.
There are a number of reasons why green cleaning is important. Firstly, it’s good for our living environment. Using green cleaning methods and products helps to reduce the amount of toxic chemicals and waste that are produced during the cleaning process. This can have a positive impact on air quality, water quality and the overall health of the environment, water, soil and wildlife.
Secondly, green cleaning is good for your employees. Many traditional cleaning products contain harmful chemicals that can cause skin irritations, respiratory problems and other health issues. Green cleaning products, on the other hand, use natural ingredients that are gentle on the skin and won’t cause any health problems.
Thirdly, green cleaning is good for your business. It shows that you care about the environment and you’re willing to invest in sustainable practices. This can make your business more attractive to potential customers and clients who are looking to work with companies that are environmentally responsible. There’s a great shift happening in many industries at the moment to embrace sustainability, so get ahead of the trend!
Green Cleaning Methods
There are a number of different green cleaning methods that you can use in your workplace. Some of the most popular methods include:
- Microfiber mopping – This involves using a mop head made from microfiber instead of traditional cotton or synthetic materials. Microfiber is much more effective at picking up dirt and debris, and it doesn’t require the use of harsh chemicals or cleaners.
- Green window cleaning – Green window cleaning can be achieved in a number of ways but the most effective is using a natural solution of vinegar and water. This method is just as effective as traditional window cleaning methods but doesn’t require the use of harsh chemicals.
- Green carpet cleaning – Green carpet cleaning involves using natural, non-chemical solutions to clean your carpets. You can read our previous blog post for more information on this!
- Green bathroom cleaning – Green bathroom cleaning makes use of natural solutions and products to clean your bathroom. This includes using baking soda and vinegar to clean surfaces (but make sure to test an inconspicuous area first!) as well as supplying natural soaps for employees to clean their hands.
- Green kitchen cleaning – Much the same as the bathroom, using non-toxic, natural products whenever possible!
Green Cleaning Products
There are a number of different green cleaning products available on the market. These products are made from natural ingredients and are gentle on the environment. Be aware that just because a product is “man-made”, doesn’t necessarily mean it’s bad! Some of the most popular green cleaning products include:
- Vinegar – Vinegar is a natural acid that can be used to clean a variety of surfaces. It’s effective at removing dirt, grime and stains, and it doesn’t contain any harmful chemicals.
- Baking soda – Baking soda is a natural cleaning agent that can be used to clean a variety of surfaces. It’s effective at absorbing dirt and grime, and it won’t scratch or damage surfaces by itself. Just watch out for the famous Vinegar & Baking Soda combo as that CAN damage services!
- Lemon juice – Lemon juice is a natural acid that can be used to clean a variety of surfaces. It’s effective at removing dirt, grime and stains, and it has a fresh citrus scent.
- Olive oil – Olive oil is a natural oil that can be used to clean a variety of surfaces. It’s effective at polishing and shining surfaces, and it won’t damage or scratch surfaces.
- Salt – Salt is a natural cleaning agent that can be used to clean a variety of surfaces. It’s effective at absorbing dirt and grime, and it can also be used to remove stains.
UK Green Cleaning Certifications
There are a number of different green commercial cleaning certifications that you can achieve in the UK. These certifications show that your workplace is committed to being environmentally friendly – as well as caring about the wider community and health of your employees in other ways. They can help you to attract new clients who are looking for sustainable solutions. Some of the most popular green cleaning certifications include:
- BREEAM – The Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method (BREEAM) is a global certification that is awarded to buildings that meet certain environmental standards. In order to achieve BREEAM certification, your building must meet a number of criteria, including energy efficiency, water use, waste management and more.
- LEED – Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) is a global certification that is awarded to buildings that meet certain environmental standards. In order to achieve LEED certification, your building must meet a number of criteria, including energy efficiency, water use, waste management and more.
- Green Globe – Green Globe is a global certification that is awarded to businesses and organisations that meet certain environmental standards. In order to achieve Green Globe certification, you must meet a number of criteria, including energy efficiency, water use, waste management and more.
- CarbonNeutral – CarbonNeutral is a global certification that is awarded to businesses and organisations that have offset their carbon emissions. In order to become CarbonNeutral certified, you must first calculate your carbon footprint and then take steps to offset those emissions. This can be done through a variety of methods, such as investing in renewable energy, planting trees or investing in carbon offsets.
- Fair Trade – Fair Trade is a global certification that is awarded to businesses and organisations that meet certain social and environmental standards. In order to achieve Fair Trade certification, you must meet a number of criteria, including fair wages and working conditions for employees, environmentally friendly practices and more.
Green Cleaning Benefits
There are a number of benefits to implementing green cleaning in the workplace, including:
- Improved indoor air quality – Green cleaning can help to improve indoor air quality by reducing the amount of harmful chemicals in the air.
- Reduced water consumption – Green cleaning can help to reduce water consumption by using less water-intensive cleaning methods.
- Reduced chemical use – Green cleaning can help to reduce the amount of harmful chemicals used in the workplace.
- Improved employee health – Green cleaning can help to improve employee health by reducing exposure to harmful chemicals.
- Improved environmental health – Green cleaning can help to improve environmental health by reducing the amount of harmful chemicals released into the environment.
Green commercial cleaning is an important part of any workplace. Not only does it help to improve indoor air quality and reduce the amount of harmful chemicals in the air but it can also help to improve employee health and environmental health. In order to achieve green certification, there are a number of different criteria that you must meet, including energy efficiency, water use, waste management and more.
Northern Cleaning Solutions is one of the most sustainable cleaning solutions available in the world. Our unique ‘carbonating’ process uses 80% less water than traditional cleaning methods and our Green Seal-certified solutions are safe for both people and the environment. What’s more, our cleaning process is so effective that it can extend the life of your carpets and upholstery, saving you money in the long run! Contact us today if you need commercial cleaning that’s green, as well as leaving a fantastic clean, contact us today!