Choosing the right upholstery cleaning product can be a daunting task. With so many options available, it can be hard to know which one is right for you. This article will help to simplify the process by explaining the different types of upholstery cleaning products available and their benefits.
There are three main types of upholstery cleaning products available on the market: domestic, commercial and industrial. Domestic upholstery cleaning products are designed for use in the home and are usually the most affordable option. Commercial upholstery cleaning products are designed for use in businesses and are more expensive than domestic products. Industrial upholstery cleaning products are designed for use in industrial settings and are the most expensive option.
Domestic upholstery cleaning products
These are usually the most affordable, safe & easy to find option and are designed specifically for use in the home. The main benefit of domestic upholstery cleaning products is that they are easy to use and require no special equipment. However, domestic upholstery cleaning products may not be as effective as commercial or industrial products. In almost every case though, (such as if you’re cleaning a couple of chairs or a sofa,) these products will do you absolutely fine!
Some of the different domestic cleaners available (without going into brand names!) are:
- Powder cleaner – This is powder that you sprinkle onto upholstery- including new stains in some cases- leave to sit, then hoover up! The powder absorbs the odours, dirt and any liquid which all get eliminated when you remove the powder. This is especially good for delicate pieces of furniture, like those with silk.
- Dry cleaning upholstery cleaner – This is a foamy liquid that you apply to upholstery and then brush in. The cleaner dries quickly, leaving your upholstery clean and fresh.
- Wet cleaning upholstery cleaner – This is a liquid that you apply to upholstery and then scrub in with a brush. Wet cleaning upholstery cleaners are more effective than dry cleaners, but they can take longer to dry. They’re also not suitable for all fabric types, so make sure you research first!
- Foam cleaner – This is a thick, foamy cleaner that you apply to upholstery and then scrub in with a brush. Foam cleaners are very effective at removing dirt and stains, but can be more difficult to remove from upholstery. They’re also very harsh on fabrics, so certainly aren’t suitable for all furniture.
- Spray cleaner – This is a liquid that you spray onto upholstery and then rub in with a brush. With some, you’ll leave them on the fabric, with others, you’ll hoover them up afterwards, just check the instructions on yours! Spray cleaners are easy to use and can be very effective at removing dirt, stains & odours.
Commercial upholstery cleaning products
These upholstery cleaners are designed for use in businesses such as hotels, restaurants and office buildings. They are more expensive than domestic products but are also more effective. Commercial upholstery cleaning products are usually stronger, more powerful and better suited to specialist cases than domestic cleaners, making them ideal for removing stubborn dirt and stains on specific materials.
Industrial upholstery cleaning products
Industrial upholstery cleaning products are the strongest and most powerful cleaners available. They are designed for use in industrial settings, such as factories and warehouses. Industrial upholstery cleaners are very effective at removing stubborn dirt and stains but they can be dangerous to use if you don’t have the proper training.
The majority of the time, you would only need to buy these in industrial settings but if you’re buying them for an office or premises that you look after, make sure to read all documentation on them, have a COSHH sheet readily available for them and lock them up so that only trained people can use them.
If you’re cleaning a sofa or a chair at home, then you’re much better off avoiding these entirely and hiring a professional cleaning company instead!
The benefits of using a professional upholstery cleaner
When it comes to upholstery cleaning, unless you have a small stain that comes off easily with some spray, then you’re usually much better off hiring a professional upholstery cleaner. Professional upholstery cleaners have the experience and expertise to clean your upholstery safely and effectively. They also have access to commercial & industrial-strength upholstery cleaning products that are not available to the general public and know how to use it without harming your furniture, the environment or themselves! In the case of delicate or expensive upholstery, it is certainly always best to leave the cleaning to the professionals!
Upholstery cleaning is an important part of maintaining your upholstery and keeping it looking its best. Whether you choose a domestic, commercial or industrial upholstery cleaning product, make sure you follow the instructions carefully to avoid damaging your upholstery. If in doubt, always consult a professional upholstery cleaner.