When it comes to office cleaning, many people think that a quick sweep and vacuum is all they need to do in order to keep their space spick and span. However, what many people don’t realize is that a deep clean is necessary every once in a while in order to remove all the built-up dirt and grime. If you’re not sure how to go about deep cleaning your office, never fear! We’ve put together a handy guide to help you get started.
The importance of office cleaning
Whether just your home office, or the floor of a building, a clean office is not only more pleasant to work in, but it can also be healthier. Dust, dirt and other allergens can easily accumulate in office spaces, and if not cleaned on a regular basis, they can cause respiratory problems for employees. In addition, a dirty office can be a breeding ground for bacteria and viruses. A study by the University of Arizona found that office desks have an average of 400 times more bacteria than a toilet seat. Yikes!
So how often should you deep clean your office? That depends on a few factors, such as the size of the space, the number of people who work in it and the level of traffic. However, a good rule of thumb is to deep clean every three to six months. Deep cleaning can be a lengthy and laborious process, so setting some systems in place to make it more organised can help an office deep clean go much quicker!
How to deep clean your office
Deep cleaning an office can be a daunting task, but with a plan in place it can be much more manageable. Here’s a step-by-step on how to do it:
- Empty everything out: The first step to deep cleaning an office is to remove all clutter. This includes items on desktops, in filing cabinets and storage closets. Once everything you don’t is out, you can start cleaning surfaces and getting into all those nooks and crannies that are usually hidden by office clutter.
- Dust and vacuum: Once all the surfaces are clear, it’s time to start dusting. Use a microfiber cloth or electrostatic duster to clean ceiling fans, light fixtures, blinds and any other hard-to-reach places. Don’t forget to vacuum carpets and upholstery to get rid of any dirt and dust that has accumulated. A tip that’s often forgotten is to start at the top of the room and work your way down – dust is likely to fall once it’s disturbed, so pushing it all down to the ground, then hoovering makes most sense!
- Clean the windows: Sunlight streaming in through clean windows can make any office feel more pleasant. You’d be surprised by just how much water marks from rain darken the light coming in through windows! It’s very possible that if you’re in an office block, the facilities manager organises this, but if not, it’s always worth hiring a professional window cleaner to do this!
- Clean surfaces: All surfaces in the office, from countertops and desks to doorknobs and light switches, should be wiped down with a disinfectant solution. Pay extra attention to commonly touched areas, such as door handles, keyboards and phones, which can harbour bacteria. Finally, it’s worth checking with your facilities manager what kind of paint your walls have, but most can be cleaned with a sponge dipped in water with a couple of drops of washing up liquid and a couple of spoons of vinegar.
- Sanitize the office: The final step in deep cleaning an office is to sanitize all surfaces. This includes spraying down carpets and upholstery with a fabric sanitizer, as well as using an air purifier to remove any lingering dirt, dust or bacteria particles in the air.
Deep cleaning your office doesn’t have to be a nightmare. With a little bit of planning and organisation, it can be a breeze! And once it’s done, you’ll be able to enjoy the benefits of working in a clean, healthy and more pleasant office environment.
The benefits of using a professional office cleaner
There are many benefits to using a professional office cleaner rather than doing it yourself. For one, commercial cleaners have the experience and knowledge to get the job done quickly and efficiently. They also have the proper equipment and supplies to clean every nook and cranny of your office. And, most importantly, office cleaners are insured and bonded, so you can rest assured that your office is in good hands.
If you’re looking for a professional office cleaning company to take care of your deep cleaning needs, look no further than Northern Cleaning Solutions! Our office cleaning services are top-notch and our team of experienced cleaners will leave your office sparkling from top to bottom. Contact us today to get started!