Choosing the right carpet cleaning solution can be a daunting task. There are so many different products on the market, each claiming to be the best. So, how do you know which one is right for you?
Today, we’re going to explore the different types of carpet cleaning solutions available and which solution to use in which situation. They can be broadly classified into two categories: professional cleaning solutions and home cleaning solutions.
Professional carpet cleaning solutions are designed for use by professional carpet cleaners. They are usually more expensive than home cleaning solutions and may require special equipment, so we don’t recommend them if you’re trying to clean your own carpet!
Here at Chem-Dry, we use a proprietary formula that works on all types of carpeting, it’s proven to be quicker, safer and healthier than other carpet cleaning methods and we use it because we believe it to be the best on the market.
Home solutions, on the other hand, are designed for use by consumers — you! They are typically less expensive and easier to use than professional carpet cleaning solutions.
When choosing a method of cleaning for your carpet, it is imperative to consider the type of carpet you have. Some carpet fibres are more delicate than others and require a gentler cleaning solution. Other carpets may be more resistant to staining and can tolerate a more powerful cleaning solution.
Finally, and perhaps most obviously, it is also important to consider the size of your carpet! If you have a large carpet, you will need a carpet cleaning solution that can cover a large area. If you have a small carpet, you may be able to get away with using a smaller amount of solution.
When it comes to carpet cleaners, there is no one-size-fits-all solution. The best way to choose the right one for your needs is to first figure out which are most suitable for your carpet (you don’t want to use vinegar on wool carpets!) then experiment with different suitable products over time and find the one that works best for you, whether it’s for every-week use or emergency situations!
The (many) types of carpet cleaning solutions
When it comes to carpet cleaning solutions, there are a few different types that you can choose from. Depending on the type of carpet you have, as well as the level of dirt and stains that need to be removed, one of these solutions may be a better fit for your needs than the others. Here are a few of the most common carpet cleaning solutions and when to use them:
- Carpet shampoo. Carpet shampoo is a carpet cleaning solution that is applied to the carpet and then worked into the fibres with a brush. This type of carpet cleaning solution is best for light dirt and stains and it’s made as a “one size fits all”, to be used on most types of carpet.
- Carpet steam cleaner. A carpet steam cleaner is applied to the carpet and then left to sit for a period of time. The steam from the carpet cleaner will help to loosen dirt and stains, making them easier to remove. This type of carpet cleaning solution is best for moderate to heavy dirt and stains, and it can be used on most types of carpet. They’re easy to use, however, it may not be cost-effective for you to buy one if your home doesn’t have much carpeting.
- Carpet cleaning powder. Carpet cleaning powder is a cleaning solution that is applied to the carpet and then left to sit for a period of time before being hoovered up. The powder will absorb dirt and stains, making them easier to remove. This type of carpet cleaning solution is best for heavy dirt and stains, and it can be used on most types of carpet. Powder is handy to have in the cleaning cupboard for when there are any mishaps — we’re sure it’s saved many a carpet from red wine!
- Carpet cleaning foam. Carpet cleaning foam is a carpet cleaning solution that is applied to the carpet and then worked into the fibres with a cloth or soft brush, and hoovered up after it dries. This type of carpet cleaning solution is best for light dirt and stains, it is a “wet” solution, so check if your carpeting is suitable for that first.
- Carpet cleaning gel. Carpet cleaning gels are applied to the carpet and then left to sit for a period of time to soak through the stains. This type of carpet cleaning solution is especially useful for oil, grease and gum, something that most carpet cleaners can’t get rid of. However, it can be harmful to aquatic life and damages carpets if left forgotten about. Always read the instructions on the leaflet.
- Vinegar. Vinegar’s often touted as great to clean a carpet with if you’re in a pinch; however, it can do more harm than good in a lot of cases! Vinegar is acidic, so really only works well on alkaline substances like wine and pet urine. Added to an acidic substance (you’ll find most foods are acidic due to how much citrus and food vinegar are used!) vinegar will increase the acidity of the stain, making it even harder to remove! Vinegar should also never be used on natural fibres, such as wool or silk, as it can burn through the fibres, ruining the spot where you’ve applied the vinegar.
- Bicarbonate of Soda (called Baking Soda across the pond and most of the internet!). As with vinegar above, Bicarb Soda is another “home remedy”. It is more forgiving than vinegar, has a variety of uses and isn’t toxic like most carpet cleaning solutions; however, it can also have its drawbacks! Bicarb Soda particles are incredibly small — so small that your hoover won’t pick up all of it after you’re done cleaning and it’ll stick to your carpet. In some cases the hoover filters can get clogged by it! You’ll also find that in some cases you’ll need vinegar mixed with it too, which then also brings about the drawbacks above.
So, there’s 7 different solutions and depending on the type of carpet you have, as well as the level of dirt and stains that need to be removed, one of these carpet cleaning solutions may be a better fit for your needs than the others.
If you are unsure of which carpet cleaning solution to use and feel like it’s just too much of a hassle for you to take care of, rather than putting it off for another 6 months, why not contact our team today?
We’ve got over 25 years of experience in all kinds of cleaning, with a proprietary formula that works fantastically on any kind of surface. We promise we’ll take care of your carpet and have you singing our praises!