It’s finally time to get your carpets cleaned! But before you can do that, there are a few things you need to do to prepare your home. Here is a guide on how to prepare for a professional carpet cleaning so that the process goes as smoothly as possible.
What to Expect During a Professional Carpet Cleaning
Professional carpet cleaning is different from just running a vacuum cleaner over your carpets. Different companies use different processes but most will involve the following steps:
– An inspection of your carpets to identify any areas of concern or damage.
– Pre-treatment of any areas of concern with a special solution that will help loosen dirt and stains.
– Carpets are then cleaned using hot water extraction, also known as steam cleaning. This involves running hot water and a cleaning solution through your carpets and then hoovering it back up.
– After the main cleaning, any remaining spots or stains will be treated individually.
– Finally, your carpets will be groomed to help them dry evenly and to fluff up the fibers.
At Northern Cleaning Solutions, the way we clean carpets is a little different. We use a hot carbonating extraction process that not only cleans your carpets but also gets rid of 98% of the bacteria in them. As this method doesn’t use any harsh chemicals or detergents, it’s safe and gentle for your family, your pets and your carpets, keeping them fresh for longer.
How to Prepare Your Home for a Professional Carpet Cleaning
Now that you know what to expect during a professional carpet cleaning, here are a few tips on how to prepare your home:
- Ask the service questions: Don’t be afraid to ask the professional carpet cleaning service any questions you have about the process. It’s important that you feel comfortable with them and that you understand what they’ll be doing. That way you can be sure what to expect and make plans around them if you feel you need to!
- Clear the area: Move any furniture, toys, rugs, or other items from the carpets that will be cleaned. This includes things like potted plants, coffee tables and floor lamps. If you have delicate or valuable items, you may want to move them to another room entirely, just to be safe. Cleaning companies will do their best to be careful but accidents can and do happen
- Vacuum first: Before a professional carpet cleaning, you should always hoover your carpets to remove any surface dirt and dust. This will help the professional cleaners do a deeper clean and get your carpets looking and feeling fresh and new. It will also save them time, so if you’re paying them by the hour, you can save a little!
- Spot check: Take a look around your carpets for any spots or stains that may need special treatment and point them out to the professionals when they arrive. That way, they can treat them accordingly and get them looking like new again.
- Prepare your pets: If you have pets, it’s best to keep them out of the way during the carpet cleaning process. This means either putting them in a separate room or making arrangements for someone to take them out of the house for a few hours. That way, they don’t get underfoot and potentially get injured or disrupt the cleaners.
- Tie backyour curtains/netting: If you have curtains or netting over your windows, it’s a good idea to put them up before the cleaners arrive. Otherwise, they may get in the way or get dirty during the cleaning process.
What to do after a professional carpet clean
Once the professional carpet cleaners have left, there are a few things you can do to help keep your carpets looking and feeling fresh for longer.
– Open your windows: This will help air out your home and also speed up the drying process.
– Turn on fans: If you have ceiling fans, turn them on to help circulate the air and dry your carpets faster. Especially useful if it’s a cold day and you don’t want to keep your windows open to freeze the place out!
– Avoid walking on wet carpets: Try to stay off of your carpets until they’re completely dry to avoid tracking in dirt or stains. This can also damage the fibres if they’re sensitive.
In the longer term, some things you can do to look after your carpet between cleans are:
– Vacuum regularly: The best way to keep your carpets looking fresh is to hover them at least once a week. This will help remove any dirt or dust before it has a chance to settle in and stain the carpet.
– Spot clean spills immediately: If you spill something on your carpet, it’s important to act fast and spot clean it before it has a chance to set. Use a mild cleaning solution and blot (don’t rub!) the stain until it’s gone.
– Deep clean every few months: In addition to regular hoovering, you should also deep clean your carpets every few months. This will help get rid of any built-up dirt or stains and leave them looking like new.
Hopefully, this guide has helped prepare you for a professional carpet cleaning! Just remember to clear the area, hoover first and spot-check any stains before the cleaners arrive. And once they’re done, open your windows and turn on fans to help your carpets dry faster. With a little bit of care, your carpets will stay looking fresh and new for longer!
If you’re trying to decide who to use for your carpet cleaning, why not get in touch with our team here at Northern Cleaning Solutions? We’ve been cleaning carpets professionally for decades and our natural, Green Seal certified solutions are gentle on your carpets and safe for your family and pets. Contact us today to find out more or to get a quote!